Sunday 24 October 2010

Struggles & Perseverance


For some reason October is often a hard time of year for staying on track in faith. It's probably partly, or mainly, to do with the fact that regular Christian gatherings don't run in school holidays. This is always difficult, but the early part of October has been pretty good since I went away to do a camp again - this time somewhere I barely knew anybody so quite a leap of faith, but so glad I did it. I don't think it was quite the amazing one here in June, but there were still times I felt they were at least asking lots of interesting questions. It's always good to see folk interested, and these are kids from a city rather than here, and some not from church-going families, although you find those most places.

Back home at church - I've probably said before the struggles with a small place with mostly older people, and an old-fashioned kinda setting. There's one preacher in particular who I find hard to listen to and never look forward to. This is just my opinion, but hearing about animal sacrifices and how we don't need to do it anymore isn't what I find useful. I'd rather hear something relevant to modern-day life. It's never easy, but I did remember a verse from James:

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."




* The picture was taken at camp and it was someone else who pointed out the cross. Now I see it, it looks just beautiful seeing the cross standing in a park with kids enjoying it.

No comments: