Friday 23 October 2009

The Gospel According to Harry Potter

That's the title of a book I read some time ago. It refers to "glimmers of the gospel" in the books. I've been a fan of Harry Potter for years but went slightly off it when I became a Christian, but since got back into them, and this book was a great help. It was written before the final three Harry Potter books were written, so I suppose you just need to figure those ones out for yourself. :)

Song lyrics are actually what makes me think the most. And today I actually made a connection between "When I survey the wondrous cross" and Harry Potter. This is an old hymn I know quite well by now, it's a favourite in our church. But ironically the line I connected with Harry Potter comes from the new version, Wonderful Cross: "bids me come and die and find that I may truly live".

I connect this part with the ending, or almost, of book 7, Deathly Hallows, Harry realises he must surrender himself to defeat Voldemort, but since there was a part of Voldemort's soul in him, all that happened was that the Horcrux in him was destroyed, thereby granting him life.

So, our salvation is summed up in that song lyric. Just like Harry, we know we must die, i.e. surrender ourselves to God, and because He loves us so much, we are then saved from hell by His grace and we may live!

P.S. Back to the previous post... sadly the baby has not survived. Hard to understand why, but I know God has His reasons.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi Emma!First and foremost, I read your post from June and was so taken a back when you named Little Wonders your favorite blog.How absolutely humbling and absolutely amazing, that the journey of our little love has touched someone from across the pond.I am so touched.Second ... thanks for reading and finding us,how ever you came upon us or rather Zoey.Thank you for praying for her.That alone is what sustains us.Zoey is our miracle and our guide in this life now and we are blessed beyond words to have her.As for your question ... the quote says "Family A journey to Forever"My husband and I were out shopping one day and found it.It is actually a stencil type thing.Easy to put on and take off when you no longer want it.I am asked often if we are mormon,as one of their staple philosophies in their religion is that families are forever.For eternity.We are not mormon.We happen to be catholic but the quote we still were drawn to and belive it just the same.

We too love Harry Potter in this house.I know that some of my close non-denominational friends have taken awhile to take to the books but for me,besides the obvious good read I think it is the crux of our world today.Speaking religiously as well as here in our earthly bodies.The battle of good and evil.Making the right choices.Be kind and self sacrificing for our fellow man.And well,it goes on and on.I think the series is just brilliant.

Thank you again for following Zoey and her beautiful life.I hope you will continue and feel free to ask anything else that comes to your mind!